Friday, February 3, 2012

SEVILLA!

I've made it to the promise land! Ok, well not really but today was my first full day in my new city! So far, I'm in love. The quaint little streets, the orange trees, the beautiful old buildings all make up one awesome city to live in. I definitely plan on coming back to Sevilla after my study abroad experience is over.

The city of Sevilla is wonderful and everyone here is so friendly! This morning, on our way to take the placement test, Ginny and I got VERY lost trying to get to our meeting spot in La Plaza Nueva. The neighborhood we live in, and all around Sevilla, have these networks of tiny streets that meander through restaurants, shops, and apartments. It's very confusing because not all the streets have a distinct street name. In the United States we have street signs but in Spain all the names of the streets are somehow displayed on the sides of buildings. After asking some locals, who were very helpful and friendly, we made it to Plaza Nueva to meet up with our group. Today all the students in ISA that are studying at Menendez Pelayo International University had to take a spanish placement test. It's a test that is supposed to show the school how well your spanish skills are in order to place you in the appropriate level of spanish class. I need to score in advance to get credit to take back to Clemson so I'm crossing my fingers I scored well enough! If not, I have to go through a process with the academic coordinator to place me in a higher level. I'm still trying to keep the hope alive haha! And I have a lot of people who have wished me good luck so I'll let you guys know how it went, I find out tonight! After the placement test some friends and I decided to explore a little before we had to be back at the school. We then came back to the school to meet up with some of the group to take a tour of the cathedral, or la catedral, which is located more or less in the center of town. It is GORGEOUS and my pictures don't do it justice. I was in awe the whole time. And we all got to climb to the top of the cathedrals tower and take pictures of the city! It was amazing! Afterwards I had to rush home for lunch, which was at 2:30pm and the tour had gone a little longer than I expected. To save myself some time and frustration, being that I'm not quite familiar with the streets yet, I took a taxi to my house. I arrived just in time for lunch, which was salad and some pasta with chicken and bacon, ahh muy delicioso! At lunch I also tried to talk more with my host mom, while also practicing some spanish. I've definitely already started to notice an improvement in that I'm becoming more comfortable and confident in speaking more spanish. I can't wait to become more fluent and be able to talk to my host mom and her family more often!

Tonight, ISA is having a welcome dinner for all the students! Hopefully Ginny and I won't get lost again and will become more familiar with the city. It will take some getting used to but after awhile I know it will just become second nature!
La Plaza Nueva

Spain has turned me into a tea drinker

la catedral

la catedral

view of the city

No comments:

Post a Comment