Wednesday, February 29, 2012

One Month Down!

Today is the one month mark in my study abroad experience! It's crazy to think that I'm actually in Spain and I still can't believe it's real. I had been planning this study abroad trip for almost a year before it actually came around. I remember starting a countdown on my computer starting around 60 days, when I was going through finals for the fall semester. That 60 days came and went fast! Before I knew it I was packing my suitcase and heading to the airport. There's no one that can truly explain what's going to happen during study abroad. It's a learning curve for everyone and not everyone's experience is the same. Reflecting on the time up until now, I can say that it's been one for the books. I was so excited to finally get to travel and study abroad, it was a dream of mine. The countdown on my computer made it so much fun to see how much time I had until I left. The days quickly passed and finally, the morning came for me to leave! Although it was a cry fest for everyone at the airport, I boarded that plane to Spain and couldn't have been more excited. This was an experience of a lifetime! The first 3 days in Spain were a whirlwind. From going to speaking English to hearing and speaking nothing but Spanish and having to survive off of what I could remember. I spent 2 days in Madrid and then a day in Toledo then finally made it to my destination, Sevilla. I'm so happy that I chose Sevilla to study abroad in. It's a small city, compared to Madrid and Barcelona, but it also is a big city. It fits me perfectly. Once I realized how to navigate around the city, walking the streets became second nature. Everyday on my way to and from school I see something new, something I hadn't noticed before and I love that. There's so much rich history in Sevilla that is so evident everywhere. I love the orange trees that line the streets, the architecture of the buildings, the friendly people, the cafes on every corner, the cobblestoned streets. I love it all. I wish I could transport the city back to Greenville with me and just have it forever. I've only been here a month but that's been just enough time to grow so fond of this place. As much as I love being in Spain and experiencing something new everyday, I do have my off days. Those days where if someone handed me a plane ticket back to South Carolina I wouldn't hesitate to take it. And honestly, I don't think those days are going to go away. Everytime I get a chance to skype with my friends and family it makes me miss them even more. I've even started to have those cravings for some home cooking and some specific foods of the South. Some foods and drinks I miss most: fried pickles, Mexican food, Cheerwine, peanut butter, Zaxby's, Dr. Pepper, cupcakes, Chick-fil-A, Sonic, Joy of Tokyo, a good hamburger, and the list goes on. However, I've become a lot healthier since coming to Spain. I drink water ALL THE TIME. I feel naked without a water bottle and I crave water. My host mom cooks all of my meals, unless I decide to go out for a meal, and she makes sure I have my daily dose of fruits, veggies, and protein. Her idea of "dessert" is a piece of fruit, usually a pear, apple, or orange. This is wonderful but it's led me to develop a HUGE sweet tooth and the Chino stores (like a convenient store owned by the Chinese population) are my biggest weakness. I stop in there for candy or cookies at least once a week. Churros with chocolate have also become my Spanish weakness. Me and Ginny are going to open a churros store when we get back to the States and everyone else will be hooked too! But it's fun to take this day to reflect on everything that's happened this past month. It's an experience that I'll be able to remember for the rest of my life. I can't thank everyone enough for supporting me in this adventure and I'm so excited to be able to share my thoughts though this blog. Here's some pictures to recap this amazing journey thus far:
Palacio Real in Madrid
Toledo
catedral in Sevilla (20 minutes walking from my house)
Ronda
momma Maribel with her "chicas" 
celebrating Carnaval in Cádiz
hanging out by the river, Quadalquivir in Sevilla 

No comments:

Post a Comment